Position for hire: marketing communications coordinator
The Alberta Wheat Barley Commissions are looking for a marketing communications coordinator to join our team on a one-year term for a parental leave replacement. We are a small but dynamic team and our organizational culture thrives on innovation and a spirit of entrepreneurialism. We challenge our team to come up with big ideas and be determined to champion them.
About the Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions
The Alberta Wheat Commission (AWC) and Alberta Barley are provincial grower organizations that represent Alberta’s 14,000 wheat farmers and 11,000 barley farmers respectively. Both organizations invest in major program areas including research, communications and extension, market development and agriculture policy.
Our operating model
In 2018, AWC and Alberta Barley launched a new and unique staffing model with a joint management team that serves both organizations. The successful incumbent will work equally for both AWC and Alberta Barley, serving the province’s wheat and barley farmers.
About the position
Our marketing communications team works at the front lines of the Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions with the goal of demonstrating return on investment for our farmer members. This includes leading one major consumer-facing campaign called Life’s Simple Ingredient, a farmer-facing agronomy extension brand called The Growing Point, a cash advance program called FarmCash, an active media presence, regular newsletter and magazine publications, a diverse range of events, oversight of video production and a broad range of other marketing communications collateral.
Reporting to the interim communications manager and working collaboratively with the events team, the marketing communications coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Support the execution of the Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions’ strategic communications plans
- Generate social media content and organize monthly content calendar
- Coordinate and execute the Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions’ newsletter – The Grain Exchange – distributed quarterly to the province’s 15,000 wheat and barley farmers
- Lead and execute the marketing and communications plan for FarmCash
- Assist with the development of the quarterly Spotlight on Research publication as needed
- Update the commissions’ website and upload content on a regular basis
- Edit internal written content, always ensuring it meets the organizations’ brand standards
- Coordinate brand photography and videography
- Write press releases, speaking notes, annual reports and website content as needed
- Support interim communications manager with other duties as required
- Support event planning and marketing and advertising efforts as needed
- Staff kids education events (Aggie Days, Calgary Stampede’s AgTivity in the City, Amazing Ag) and consumer events (Calgary and Edmonton Beer Fest) as needed
- Staff regional meetings throughout the province as needed
- Write and coordinate the GrainsWest internal content as needed
Skills and Qualifications
- University degree in communications, public relations or journalism preferred
- 2-4 years relevant experience
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to multitask and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment
Nice to have
- Agriculture industry experience
- Knowledge of CP style
- Knowledge of WordPress CMS
The Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions offer a competitive, incentive-based compensation package including base salary and benefits.
Apply by sending a cover letter and resume to Erin Tateson, marketing communications coordinator, at email@example.com.
Wednesday, June 24, 2020 – 11:59pm