Latest Developments | May 11
- On May 5, 2020, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced a $252 emergency aid package for farmers and food processors. Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley issued a statement wondering when long-term solutions will be proposed.
- On May 7, 2020 the Alberta Government announced further details to support farmers and ranchers through AgriRecovery which is focused on the beef and pork industries.
- Both the University of Alberta and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) released COVID-related research updates to stakeholders this week – indicating the continuation of some research activities while AAFC stressed it will “not be business as usual.”
- Growing Point “In the Field Webinars” hosted by Jeremy Boychyn being launched this week.
- Shortages of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) continue for Alberta farmers.
- Alberta Barley hosts “virtual” malt academy.
- “FarmCash has farmers’ backs” during COVID-19.