Careers: Knowledge Translation Specialist
Knowledge Translation Specialist
The Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley are seeking a full-time Knowledge Translation Specialist for our Calgary office. This position is a shared position with Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley.
Reporting to the Director of Research and working closely with Communications, Research and Extension, the Knowledge Translation Specialist is responsible for identifying opportunities to communicate impactful research and translating knowledge to producers. The combined portfolios of the commissions contain hundreds of projects in various stages of completion. On average, 20+ new projects are added yearly.
Duties and responsibilities
The Knowledge Translation Specialist bridges the communication and research departments to ensure producers have the most up-to-date and relevant genetic and management information resulting from our research portfolios.
Knowledge Translation Specialist:
- Prepares general summaries on research proposals and project updates for the Alberta Wheat and Alberta Barley online research portal as well as for internal records;
- Works with the Communications department on news articles, trade show materials, website updates, press releases, projects, etc.;
- Writes regular research columns in the Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley newsletters (The Growing Point, Spotlight on Research and the Grain Exchange) and our trade publication (Grains West);
- Coordinates content for Agronomy research communications and production tools including, but not limited to, the Growing Point online newsletters and crop specific production resources;
- Collaborates with research and extension team to build extension plans for funded research projects;
- Presents Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley funded research to growers and industry stakeholders;
- Participates in and develops content for tradeshows and research events, as required;
- Assists research project managers with the review of proposals, as well as ongoing and completed research projects;
- Develops strong working relationships with colleagues, researchers and industry; and
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Research and/or General Manager.
Degree in agriculture or related science program;
- Superior communication, written and oral presentation skills;
- Proven ability to translate scientific and technical writing to for a general audience;
- Knowledge of Canadian agriculture, specifically field crop production;
- Excellent relationship-building skills, with the ability to multi-task and prioritize;
- Ability to travel (up to 20%).
- Experience working with website development programs an asset
The Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley offer a competitive, incentive-based compensation package including base salary and benefits. This position is ideally suited to individuals who desire to broaden their knowledge of crop-based agricultural research and communication skills while working in a positive team-based environment.
About Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley
The Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley are statutory corporations pursuant to Alberta’s Marketing of Agricultural Products Act. Both organizations are producer-directed and producer-funded and is dedicated to improving the long-term profitability of Alberta’s 14,000 wheat and 11,000 barley producers.
The revenue is generated by a mandatory/refundable levy on commercial wheat and barley sales. The funds support the Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley strategic priorities in research, markets, extension, communications and policy development.
Applications can be directed confidentially to the Alberta Wheat Commission and Alberta Barley at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Those selected for an interview may be required to provide a writing sample.
The deadline for applications is November 20, 2020