Alberta Barley is seeking a Business Development and Policy Manager
The Alberta Barley Commission (ABC) is seeking a Business Development and Policy manager for their Calgary office. Reporting to the General Manager, this senior management position will play a critical role in managing ABC’s business development and policy needs as new opportunities arise for members of the barley value chain to improve the profitability of barley for Alberta barley growers.
Working within the strategic priorities of the ABC as a whole, this role is accountable for the development, approval and implementation of the Commission’s Policy and Business Development positions and strategies respectively.
Working closely with the General Manager, the Business Development/Policy Manager’s primary responsibilities include:
- Market Development: Growing current markets (feed, malt and food) while also investigating and developing new markets such as nutraceuticals or other alternate uses for Alberta barley nationally and internationally
- Policy Analysis and Development: Take the lead in working with ABC management and Board of Directors in developing ABC’s policy positions.
- Policy Communication and implementation: Develop and coordinate communication strategies to build policy awareness and support with Commission staff, Directors, Delegates and producers.
In carrying out these responsibilities the Manager, Business Development and Policy will be required to:
- Develop industry-wide relationships and work closely with barley producers, grain buyers, seed companies, industry and government representatives to promote new business opportunities for Alberta Barley.
- Work closely with other producer commissions, members of the barley value chain, government officials and other external stakeholder organizations to identify issues, compile and analyze information, and provide advice on policy positions and policy implementation strategies to strengthen and grow Alberta barley’s sustainability and competitiveness.
- Respond to critical business development and policy issues proactively involving appropriate personnel in the commission, the Barley Council of Canada and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in collaborative barley industry business and market development initiatives including, but not limited to those initiated by the Barley Council of Canada (BCC).
- A passion for agriculture, and enjoys working in a diverse, flexible and team-based environment
- A working knowledge of prairie crop production and the barley value chain
- Three to five years of experience in business/agriculture industry
- A university degree in business or agriculture or equivalent industry experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop working relationship with diverse stakeholder groups
- Strong business acumen
- Well-developed project management skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Excellent computer proficiency and the flexibility to travel on a semi-regular basis are requirements of the position
The Policy and Business Development Manager role has a competitive compensation package including base salary, bonus, and an attractive employee benefits plan. This role will be of interest to individuals who have a strong desire to work closely with both industry and government in driving opportunities to improve profitability for barley growers.
Established in 1991, the Alberta Barley Commission is a statutory corporation pursuant to the provincial Marketing of Agricultural Products Act. The Commission is producer-directed and producer-funded and represents approximately 11,000 barley producers in Alberta.
Applications can be directed confidentially to Rob Davies, General Manager of the Alberta Barley Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested individuals may also contact the ABC office at 403-291-9111 and speak directly to the commission General Manager.
The deadline for applications is November 30, 2015.